Follow these 4 steps to reduce your stroke risk.
Step One: Eat More Fruits and Vegetables
– Consider diets rich in fruits and vegetables, and whole grains, such as the Mediterranean or DASH diet. The latter stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension.
Step Two: Know Your Numbers
– Optimal Blood Pressure: 120/80
– Optimal Cholesterol: Below 200 mg/dL
– Optimal Blood Sugar: Below 5.7%
Step Three: Eat Smaller Portions
– At a restaurant, portions equal 3-5 healthy servings, ask for a to-go-box and put half of your meal in it before starting.
– Eat slower, it takes time for your stomach to signal to your brain that you’re full.
– Reduce sodium (salt) intake to less than 2,300 mg/day.
Step Four: Participate in Physical Activity
– Try and get at least 40 minutes of physical activity per day, three to four times per week.
– Can’t get in 40 minutes at once, break it into smaller 10 minute workouts.
– For moderate exercise try brisk walking, tennis, gardening or mopping the floors.